Creamy Mexican-Inspired Tomato Soup
A quick, plant-based, protein-packed tomato soup with fresh Mexican-inspired flavours! Delicious paired with grilled cheese.
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
Serve with half a grilled cheese sandwich made with 1 slice whole-grain bread and 2 tbsp cheese.
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) whole peeled tomatoes
1 cup hot water
1 pkg Azteca Tortilla Soup Seasoning,Taco Seasoning (Pack of 3)orEnchilada Seasoning (Pack of 3)
2 cans (14 oz/398 ml each) unsalted butter, navy, or white kidney beans
1 can (14 oz/398 ml) light coconut milk
1–2 tsp maple syrup, optional
Toppings (optional): halved cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, cilantro
- In large Multipurpose Pot, add tomatoes (including liquid), water, and seasoning. Cover; bring to a boil.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, gently smash tomatoes. Drain and rinse beans; add to pot.
- Stir in coconut milk. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 7–8 min to allow flavours to blend. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, purée.
- Taste: if it’s too acidic, add maple syrup, if desired.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and add toppings, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 300, Fat 8 g (Saturated 5 g, Trans 0 g), Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 350 mg, Carbohydrate 45 g (Fiber 11 g, Sugars 8 g), Protein 15 g.
Whole peeled canned tomatoes are the best choice for this soup—they’re more reliable in terms of flavour and quality. In a pinch, swap with crushed or diced tomatoes, but make sure to taste and season the soup as needed.